26 March 2018

If you are involved in a road traffic accident, it is natural to feel unsure of what to do. You may feel anxious about speaking to the other drivers involved. These pointers may help:-

  • If you are involved in an accident, it is a legal requirement that you stop. If it looks as though someone may be injured, or you are injured yourself, you should dial 999 and ask for the ambulance service.
  • If it is possible to do so, you should speak to the other driver or drivers involved and obtain their insurance details, along with their name, address and telephone number. You should enquire as to whether or not the car is theirs. If the car is owned by someone else, you should ask for their details too. You should also record the vehicle registration numbers and a description of all vehicles involved. This will assist should you need to make a claim either for damage to your vehicle or for a personal injury.
  • If any driver involved does not have their insurance details to hand and the accident is not serious enough for the Police to need to attend, the accident must be reported to the Police within 24 hours, either directly to a Police Constable or by attending a Police Station.
  • You should also take photographs of the positions of the cars along with any damage, but again this should only be if it is appropriate in the circumstances.
  • You should identify and obtain details of any eye witnesses to the accident, including their names, addresses and telephone numbers. Eye witnesses are crucial if there is an argument over who caused the accident. You should report any accident to your insurer as soon as possible (preferably the same day) in case either you need to make a claim for vehicle damage or personal injuries you have suffered or if another driver involved makes a claim against you.

If you have been injured and wish to make a claim, please call Battens Personal Injury Department, ideally armed with all the information referred to above, on 0800 652 8373. We will be very happy to assist you.