About the Battens Charitable Trust
The Battens Charitable Trust was set up in 1985 to enable grants to be made to registered charities and for charitable purposes in Somerset, Dorset and adjoining counties.
Since then, the trust has donated £500,000 and counting. Beneficiaries have been as diverse as local schools, youth organisations, hospitals and hospices, local foodbanks, wildlife organisations, disability groups and the arts.
Some of the charities and organisations we have helped:
- St Margaret's Hospice, Joseph Weldmar and Julia's House Children's Hospice, funding nurses and carers for those with life-limiting conditions
- Sherborne, Wareham, Yeovil, Dorchester foodbanks as well as community support Initiatives
- Dorset and Somerset schools
- Yeovil Hospital, Yeatman Hospital and Dorset County Hospital
- Somerset and Dorset Mind supporting local people with mental health challenges
- Dorset Wildlife Trust, supporting its educational activities and conserving wildlife in the area.
The trust is administered free of charge by Battens Solicitors so that more of the money can be used to support local causes.
How to donate
If you would like to support the Battens Charitable Trust, some people choose to make a legacy in their will, while others prefer to make regular or one-off donations.
If you wish to leave a legacy to the Charitable Trust within your will, please contact the Wills and Trusts Team in any of our offices, who will be happy to discuss your requirements in further detail. We may be able to offer the preparation of the will, free of charge, under our free will scheme.
If you would prefer to make regular donations, or even a one-off contribution, then please contact Louisa Dustan by emailing email@example.com
How to apply
If you wish to apply for a donation, please note that we can only receive applications using this form
Please note the trustees meet 3 times a year to discuss applications. This is February, May and October.
Please send in your applications for the 1st of the month for February, May and October.