Client Privacy Notice
This privacy notice sets out:
- what data we collect from you
- how we use it
- why we need it
- who we share it with
- how long we keep it for
We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. All personal identifiable information about you that either you provide to us, or is given to us from a third party, will only be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 18/05/2018.
Who does this notice apply to?
This notice applies to individuals who instruct Battens Solicitors to carry out work for them. It also includes individuals who request quotes or generally enquiry about our services, either in person, via our website, over the telephone of via other forms of electronic communication.
This notice also includes the Directors, Partners, Owners and other personnel acting on behalf of businesses who are our clients or enquiry about our services.
What data do we collect?
- Information you provide to our staff when you enquire about our services – your name, address, contact details and specific details related to your enquiry
- Case related information; letters, document, photographs and other information that you supply to our staff relating to the work we are do for you or that you woul dpotentially like us to do for you
- We may take financial information, like bank details or credit and debit card details
- Your voice may be recorded if you call one of our offices or a member of staff
- All forms of communication you use to contact us, including letters, emails, faxes, sms, instant massaging
- We may ask for, and keep copies of, identification documents you can provide
What do we do with the information and why do we need it?
- Your contact details and the specifics of your enquiry will be passed on to relevant member of staff, so we can reply to your enquiry and provide our services to you
- We may also use this data for analytical purposes, to improve the services we offer and better understand our clients’ needs
- Information you give us relating to the work we are doing for you is used for the purposes of providing our service to you and fulfilling our legal obligations and our contract with you
- Financial information is used soley to process any financial transactions necessary to complete the work we are doing for you
- We may use contact information your data for the purposes of offering further services to you under our legitimate business interest
- We will use and store a copy of your identification documentation to verify your identity, protect ourselves and our clients from fraud, and to meet our legal obligations under anti-money laundering regulations and other laws
Who has access to the data?
- Details of new enquiries and exiting clients is available to staff various third parties necessary for us to provide our service to you
- We may share your data with other organisation to fulfil our legal obligations to confirm your identity and abide by anti-money laundering regulations
- In property transactions we may share your information with search providers, lenders, estate agents and other parties to fulfil our contract with you
- In litigation matters we may share your information with expert witnesses, the other side’s solicitor or other parties for the purposes of pursuing or defending your claim
- To market our services to you we may share your name, emails address and, if applicable, your job title with an Email Marketing Service Provider
- At the end of the work, we may store all of your relevant physical documents and data with an Archive Storage Provider
- All electronic communications may be sent to, and monitored by, third-party security providers to protect us and people we communicate with from viruses and malware
How long do we keep it for?
- The details of any enquires that you make, even if we do not doing the work for you for whatever reason, is kept for up to 12months, after which time it is anonymised for statistical purposes and kept indefinitely
- All data, documents and communications related to work we do for you is stored for the duration of the case plus 6 years
- In matters of Care Proceedings or matters involving Children, we keep the data for 6 years or until the child becomes 18 years old, whichever is longer
- We will use your details for marketing purposes for up to 12 months under legitimate interest unless you object
- If you consent to receiving our newsletters and events we will use your details until you withdraw your consent or until the data is deemed inaccurate or not useful, at which point it will be deleted
- Electronic communications are held by our third-party security provider for 3 months and then destroyed
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org