Probate and Estate Administration
When someone dies, you will need to ensure that their property, money and possessions (their 'estate') are dealt with. We appreciate this can be a difficult time and the thought of sorting through a loved one's finances can be daunting and upsetting.
We are happy to advise you, however straightforward or complicated their estate may be. If the deceased left a will, you may require a grant of probate. Or, it could be the deceased died without leaving a will (i.e. died intestate) and letters of administration may be required instead.
Our experts in this field are happy to talk to you and advise as to what is necessary in your particular circumstances, so as to make the process as stress-free as possible.
We are able to assist you with just obtaining a grant of probate or letters of administration or deal with the whole administration process on your behalf. We can:
- Assist you in tracing a valid will and/or beneficiaries of the estate
- Obtain valuations of assets
- Ensure funeral accounts and other liabilities are paid
- If inheritance tax, capital gains tax or income tax is payable, ensure this is paid and within the time limit so as to avoid any unnecessary interest or charges
- Prepare the HMRC estate information form and oath to apply for a grant of probate/letters of administration
- Register the grant and collect in monies
- Prepare estate accounts
- Ensure accurate distributions to beneficiaries in accordance with the will or intestacy rules
We can also advise you on how to personally protect yourselves as executor or administrator with regard to potential claims being made against the estate. Should a claim be made, i.e. by a creditor or a person under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, we have the expert knowledge to deal with these claims on your behalf.
It may also be possible to vary the deceased's will by way of a deed of variation, i.e. for tax purposes, and we can explore this avenue with you and prepare the necessary documentation.
If you have any queries at all following the loss of a loved one, our qualified and friendly team will be more than happy to assist you, so please give us a call.
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Probate - Costs and Timescale Guidelines