Immigration sponsorship guidance for employers
20th April 2020
Following the publication by the Home Office of guidance on the new points based immigration system, where employers are looking to sponsor skilled overseas workers moving to the UK, they have been advised to apply sooner rather than later for a sponsorship licence.
Following the introduction of the new guidelines which are scheduled to come into force in January 2021, migrant workers will need to meet a variety of requirements including a minimum salary threshold and a job offer which must be of the required skill level. Where an employee does not have existing rights to work in the UK then businesses recruiting overseas nationals into skilled roles next year will need to possess a sponsors licence.
The guidelines still contain some areas of concern for example in many cases the workers currently classed as key workers who are involved in helping to fight the Coronavirus pandemic would not meet the skills or salary threshold required under the new points based system.
If you are looking to recruit workers from overseas over the course of the next 12-18 months we would recommend that you take advice sooner rather than later. The Home Office themselves state that there may be a back log of applications, and given the timescales to obtain a sponsor licence and for the employee to obtain a visa is currently between 8 to 12 weeks, it is therefore prudent to start the process now rather than waiting until the points based scheme takes effect on 1st January 2021.
- Covid-19 Guidance
- Residential possessions claims during the pandemic guidance
- Assistance with Moving House and Property Guidance
- Immigration - Entry clearance to the UK
- Right to Rent Checks and Covid-19: Temporary Change
- Immigration - Tier 2 visa workers guidance
- Foreign Nationals and the furlough scheme guidance
- Immigration sponsorship guidance for employers
- Parenting separately
- Commercial Property Leases
- Residential Tenancies
- Financial Assistance for Self-employed Individuals
- Financial Assistance for Businesses