30th March 2020
Foreign Nationals Visa requirements whilst you are in the UK
The Home Office has been setting out guidance for foreign nationals whose leave has either recently expired or is due to expire shortly, as highlighted by freemovement here
If you’re in the UK and your leave expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 May 2020:
Your visa will be extended to 31 May 2020 if you cannot leave the UK because of travel restrictions or self-isolation related to coronavirus (COVID-19).
The guidance continues:
You must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team (CIT) to update your records if your visa is expiring. You should provide:
- your full name (include any middle names)
- date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
- your previous visa reference number
- why you can’t go back to your home country, for example if the border has closed
We’ll let you know when your request is received and when your visa has been extended.
The guidance also includes information on switching visas:
If you’re applying to stay in the UK long-term:
During these unique circumstances you’ll be able to apply from the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa until 31 May. This includes applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.
You’ll need to meet the same visa requirements and pay the UK application fee.
This includes those whose leave has already been automatically extended to 31 March 2020.
You can apply online. The terms of your leave will remain the same until your application is decided.
Currently there is no update on those nationals looking to enter the UK but cannot due to the ongoing issues of the coronavirus.
For more information or any immigration enquiries please contact us on 0800 652 8373.
- Covid-19 Guidance
- Immigration - Spouse Visa Applications
- Residential possessions claims during the pandemic guidance
- Assistance with Moving House and Property Guidance
- Immigration - Entry clearance to the UK
- Right to Rent Checks and Covid-19: Temporary Change
- Immigration - Tier 2 visa workers guidance
- Foreign Nationals and the furlough scheme guidance
- Immigration sponsorship guidance for employers
- Parenting separately
- Commercial Property Leases
- Residential Tenancies